July 28 - 30, 2017
Enter your Last Name and Confirmation ID to review your record.
Many thanks to our Expo Sponsors: Farm Credit, Southern Farm Bureau Life Insurance Company and Virginia Farm Bureau
Contest Sponsors include: Kubota Corp., MidAtlantic Stihl, Farm Credit, Chesterfield Farm Bureau, Southern Farm Bureau Life Insurance Company, VA Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance Company, VA Farm Bureau Health Care Consultants, VA Farm Bureau Member Services and VA Farm Bureau Federation
Updated Agenda - 7/24/2017:
The 12th Annual Young Farmers Summer Expo - Roanoke, Virginia
By Air • By Land • By Rail >>> Bringing Virginia Agriculture to the Star City
July 28-30, 2017
- Governor Candidates Forum for Agriculture hosted by VAFB Young Farmers with candidates Ralph Northam and Ed Gillespie addressing agricultural issues
- Virginia’s Secretary of Agriculture & Forestry, Basil Gooden
- Roanoke Farm Bureau President and Virginia’s Deputy Secretary of Agriculture Megan Seibel
- Virginia Tech Thornhill Professor of Agricultural Trade, Ambassador Richard T. Crowder, PhD
Special Pre- Conference Field Day - Thursday - July 27th:
8:30 AM-4:30 PM: Kentland Beef and Forage Day sponsored by Virginia Cooperative Extension and the Virginia Tech College of Agriculture & Life Sciences. Kentland Farm, 5250 Whitethorne Road, Blacksburg
Join us at the Kentland Beef and Forage Day to learn about beef cattle production, hay and pasture equipment and technology, and precision agriculture for small farms. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register for this event - it’s limited to the first 250 people and includes lunch for just $10.
AGENDA Friday – July 28th:
9:00 AM: Kick-off Tours *carpool & car-train in Roanoke - must have close-toed shoes
Noon: Lunch on your own, prepare for Governor Candidates Forum for Agriculture. Plan to wear business attire or nicer business casual to this event, please!
- 9:00 AM - Meet at Southern States Mill for a tour of the mill GPS: 1003 Walnut Ave., Vinton, VA 24179
- 10:45 AM - Meet at Salem Football Field to carpool into Carter Caterpillar Company GPS: 1008 Texas St., Salem, VA 24153
1:00 PM-5:00 PM: Governor Candidates Forum for Agriculture
*Use Parking Lot #1 off of Winding Way on left after crossing under footbridge & near the Community Garden - Cross Colonial Avenue via the footbridge between Webber Hall & the Business Science Building, then take elevator or stairs down to Whitman Theater. http://www.virginiawestern.edu/about/visitvwcc.php for a campus map.
- Virginia Western Community College, GPS: 3094 Colonial Ave., Roanoke, VA 24015
- Whitman Theater in the Business Science Building
Gubernatorial candidates Ralph Northam and Ed Gillespie will answer agricultural issues questions in a one candidate forum with an intermission between each candidate, and networking with industry professionals.
6:00 PM: Young Farmers Networking Dinner & Corn Hole Tournament to Support the Virginia Foundation for Agriculture in the Classroom at Soaring Ridge Brewery in Roanoke.
GPS: 523 Shenandoah Ave NW, Roanoke, VA 24016 www.soaringridge.com
Expo hotel - Holiday Inn Tanglewood, GPS: 4468 Starkey Rd., Roanoke, VA 24018
- Welcome by Secretary of Agriculture & Forestry Basil Gooden
- Live music, corn hole competition (entry fees apply), member recognition prizes, Expo t-shirts distributed, meet the state Young Farmers committee, meet contest participants, visit with friends!
- Learn about the state Young Farmers Committee members now on www.VAFB.com - look for Young Farmers in the Farmers in Action section!
AGENDA Saturday – July 29th:
Please enjoy hotel breakfast included in the room rate for 2 people - additional charges may apply for rooms with more than two people occupying. Breakfast is otherwise on your own. Some light snacks and morning refreshments will be available at the Community College for those not staying at the hotel.
Virginia Western Community College - GPS: 3094 Colonial Ave., Roanoke, VA 24015
In the FRALIN CENTER -- use Parking Lot #1 or #15 - link to map on previous page
7:30 AM – Fralin Center Multipurpose Room 208
Registration and morning contest activities start at Virginia Western Community College
8:00 AM - 11:30 AM – Contests - spectators welcome - check signs for contest schedules!
9:45 AM – Multipurpose Room 208 - Opening General Session – Welcome & introductions
- Room 213 - Contestant check in
- Room 416 - Outstanding Young Agriculturalist presentations
- Room 343 & 345 - Discussion Meet - may use Rm 418 if needed,
- Room 229 - Excellence in Agriculture Contests
10:00 AM – Workshops - Multipurpose Rooms 208 - 210
Room 208: Building the State Fair of the Future - an interactive discussion and focus group with Marlene Pierson-Jolliffe -Vice President of Operations at Meadow Events Park.
Room 210: Building Business Plans That Grow for Young and Beginning Agricultural Entrepreneurs with Maggie Beal Longest, Coordinator, Farm Business Development Program at the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
11:00 AM – Workshops - Multipurpose Rooms 208 - 210
Room 210: Produce Source Partners - Eddy Bova, Vice President and COO Roanoke Division
Room 208: Growing County Young Farmers Groups through Meaningful Programs - State YF Committee and County YF Chairs sharing successful young farmers activities.
12:00 PM – Lunch - Sponsored by Virginia’s Farm Credit Associations - Multipurpose rooms/Patio
Tax Incentives & Food Banks - Leslie Van Horn, Federation of Virginia Food Banks
Prepare for afternoon tours - dinner excursions
12:45 PM – Farm Tours – Choose one tour option below - tour sign-up will be held during registration. Note: Buses will leave from Community College and will not return until after dinner.
Franklin County Farm Tours: 1) Woods Farm - Produce and Orchard; 2) Dale & Coleman Simmons Team Roping Demonstration; 3) Cattle Feeders or Beckner Produce (TBD) depending on final arrangements - bus to Jeter Farm
Botetourt County Farm Tours: 1) Martin Farms - produce, pork, beef and a new dairy under construction; 2) Ardmore Stables - equine operation; 3) Lawrence Farms - hay, cattle, grain & custom harvest - bus to Jeter Farm
6:30-9:00 PM – Picnic at Jeter Farm, GPS: 181 Blue Ridge Blvd, Roanoke, VA www.jeterfarm.com
Keynote speakers Deputy Secretary Seibel and Ambassador Crowder, along with Local Political Figures, and the Contest Awards & Recognitions
Approximately 9:30 PM - Buses return to Virginia Western Community College
AGENDA Sunday – July 31st:
- YF Committee meeting - Holiday Inn breakfast room - approximately 8 AM. Guests welcome!
- Fantastic activities with friends on the way home:
- Virginia Museum of Transportation to see how agricultural products were moved by air, land and rail through Roanoke - www.vmt.org
- Mill Mountain Park and Zoo to visit the animals at the Star - www.mmzoo.org
- Jump on the Blue Ridge Parkway for beautiful views of the farms below - www.blueridgeparkway.org
- Twin Rivers Outfitters in Buchanan for an exciting drift on the upper James River - www.canoevirginia.net